Insuring Recreational Vehicles

Insuring Recreational Vehicles

An Anco customer recently asked about coverage for recreational vehicles. He wanted to know if his homeowners insurance policy would cover a recreational vehicle, (such as a golf cart, ATV, snowmobile, trail bike, go-kart, or even a motorized toy car).

The answer is, your homeowners policy may not provide all the coverage you need to protect the value of your vehicle or cover your legal obligations if the vehicle injures someone.

Your homeowners policy contains specific provisions that limit coverage on all types of motor vehicles, including recreational vehicles. These provisions vary from one policy to another, so we will need to know exactly what type of recreational vehicles you own and then provide you with information based on the specific policy you purchased. You may need a different type of homeowners policy or an additional special policy to provide the appropriate coverage for you.

If you own a golf cart, for example, some policies do not cover damage to the vehicle at all unless you pay additional premium. Other policies may cover some types of damage for a limited amount, but a special policy may be needed to provide full coverage for the full value of the vehicle. With regard to coverage for your legal obligations in case you injure someone while operating the golf cart, some policies only cover while using the vehicle for golfing purposes on a golf course.

Other recreational vehicles have similar coverage issues, depending on the type of vehicles you own.

Anco’s personal lines insurance specialists can review your homeowners policy and let you know what kind of coverage you have now and what kind of additional coverage might be needed. Contact us today!

This article was prepared and made available to Anco Insurance by the Independent Insurance Agents of Texas, which is solely responsible for its content. Please read your insurance policy. If there is any conflict between the information in this article and the actual terms and conditions of your policy, the terms and conditions of your policy will apply. The Independent Insurance Agents of Texas is a non-profit association of more than 1,800 insurance agencies in Texas, dedicated to helping its members succeed, in part by providing technical resources that explain insurance policies sold to their customers.

NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not to be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state and is subject to change. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.